Frequently Asked Questions
- The library has a few scanners, located in the adult computer area. This is a free service.
- The photocopy machine near the circulation desk prints in both black and white and color; it does have a feeder tray to make double-sided copies. You can scan and send to an email from the photocopy machine as well. Black and white copies are $.15 per page. Color copies are $.50/page. Machines accept one dollar bills and coins.
- Faxing services are not available. You can scan and send to an email for free.
To recommend a title for purchase, speak to a staff member or use our online Suggestions form. All suggestions for purchase are subject to the same selection criteria as other materials and are not automatically added to the collection.
To reserve a meeting room fill out the online room reservation form here. Meeting rooms may be reserved up to 3 months in advance of the meeting. It is recommended that completed applications be submitted at least 7 days in advance of the meeting.
Cell phone use is allowed only in the library’s covered patio area and in our meeting rooms. Please set your cell phone to vibrate or silent mode when you enter the Library. Texting is allowed anywhere.
There are tables and chairs on the patio and on the grass outside the children’s library for you to use for eating. No food or drink are allowed in the Teen Library or near the computers. Covered water only in the Children’s Library. Covered drinks are allowed in other areas of the library. Food is allowed in meeting rooms with permission. Any questions? Please ask a librarian.
The Tiverton Public Library is continuously enriched by the generous donations of its customers. When customers inquire about donating materials, please use the following guidelines.
We will accept the following materials in MINT condition only:
- Adult hardcover and paperback books
- Children’s hardcover and paperback books
- Young adult hardcover and paperback books
- Compact discs in original cases
- DVDs in original sleeves
- Unabridged books on CD in original packaging
We will not accept the following:
- Any materials that have odors or stains
- Any materials that have been stored in attics, cellars or garages
- Readers Digest condensed books
- Magazines of any kind
- Vinyl record albums
- Computer games and software
- Computers and other electronic items
- Puzzles, games, and toys, including stuffed animals
- Video cassettes
- Books on tape
Federal regulations prohibit the library from giving estimates of value for donated materials. All donations become the property of the Tiverton Public Library and are added to the collection, sold in the book sale, or discarded.
Please visit the American Library Association’s website for more information on where to donate your books: http://www.ala.org/ala/professionalresources/libfactsheets/alalibraryfactsheet12.cfm or check out http://themillionbookproject.com/ to find out about the free service that will come pick up books to be donated.
For patrons’ convenience, the Tiverton Public Library has two return boxes. Inside (under the digital display screen in the lobby) and outside next to the pick up window (drive thru on the east side of the building). A book drop is located outside of Union Library as well.
Yes, the library provides computers with Internet access free of charge. An Ocean State Libraries card number is required to log on to our computers.
Yes. The charge for black & white prints is $.15 cents per page and color prints are $.50 cents.
If the computers are very busy, and there are people waiting, there is a one-hour limit. If there is no one waiting, time limits are flexible for users who have an OSL library card.
Yes, you may use your laptop in the library. There are many electrical outlets for use by the public throughout the library. Our wi-fi network is called “Tiverton Public”, there is no password.